We love working with passionate entrepreneurs who have deep domain knowledge and great product and design instincts—those who aim to change the world, but know that in order to do so, they need backing. Fortunately, we love to help, whenever and wherever we can.
Aside from a stellar founder team, we look for a few more things when evaluating a potential investment opportunity:
- Strong network effects. We think that network effects built around people and / or data can provide a long-lasting competitive advantage and hence love to invest in entrepreneurs that think similarly. Network effects can be found in many categories, from marketplaces, to (Social) platforms or SaaS, and in many products built specifically around (big) data. Please read more about our thesis here.
- Bottom-up distribution. Companies can be successful with different distribution models but we are most comfortable investing in startups that have figured out a bottom-up distribution model in which passionate users and not “hired boots on the ground” do (most of) the sales work.
- Early-stage opportunities (pre-Seed to Series A rounds). We’re looking for products with initial traction and early product-market fit. Our investments typically range from $250K-$1M per company and we also follow-on.
In addition to being the first money in, we strive to be the investor who adds the most value to your startup through:
- Our diverse backgrounds and experiences as active investors. Having run our own companies, we try to pass on as much of our operations knowledge to our entrepreneurs as possible.
- Our thesis-driven approach and drive for thought leadership. We pride ourselves on being able to ask the right questions to inspire action, while offering great advice like a cofounder.
- Our responsiveness and ability to make decisions quickly. We understand that time is of the essence for entrepreneurs and recognize that your time is just as valuable as ours.
- Our contacts. Having worked in the internet space for almost 20 years, we are extremely resourceful with excellent contacts all across North America.
Thus far, Version One has invested in over 50 internet companies and we’d love to add you to our growing portfolio. Let our deep expertise in driving growth and building companies empower you to take your business to the next level.